Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing 15 Games

I tried the Pirate game, but didn't get it to load-maybe there were already too many pirates online on Sunday morning. So I turned to Second Life. I have seen several demonstrations for Second Life, one of which showed learning applications and one by someone who just played the game. The one who played the game did so for at least twenty hours a week and she was married with children, employed, and probably spent other time online doing email and other things like the rest of us. I am mindful and worried about those who spend more time in virtual interactions than in real interactions. I am always preaching moderation to my children. That said, I can see the uses for Second Life. It can be used for distance learning; classes can be presented in a virtual classroom in Second Life. I can imagine a person with disabilities attending the class and not feeling any different from other students as apposed to how different they may feel in a face to face class.
I also found an article about a free tool for educators for creating 360 virtual reality rooms in second life. The article can be found at VRR Demo

My photo is from a gathering in Second Life which imposes avatars imposed on the Cloud Gate sculpture in Chicago.

No comments: